History, Ethnic groups and Tourism of Jiangsu
Jiangsu was originally part of the Wu kingdom, and Wu is still the province’s traditional name. It became a separate province in 1667 and served as the headquarters (1853 – 64) for the Taiping Rebellion. As the gateway to central China, Jiangsu became the main scene of European commercial activity after the Treaty of Nanjing (1842). It was an important base for China’s Nationalist Party, which made Nanjing the nation’s capital from 1928 to 1937 and again from 1946 to 1949. The province was occupied by Japan during the Sino-Japanese War (1937 – 45) .After the People’s Republic of China was founded in 1949, the province has been in control by the central government. Many archaeological sites have been excavated in Jiangsu since 1956. In 1984 the province was made a part of the Shanghai special economic zone, which has increased investment in and exports from port cities like Nantong.
The majority of Jiangsu residents are ethnic Han Chinese. Other minorities include the Hui and the Manchus，etc.
Tourist destinations in Jiangsu include:
Purple Mountain Observatory;
Ming Dynasty city wall and gates;
The Nanjing Massacre Memorial,
Lion Garden in Suzhou
Grand Buddha at Ling Shan, Wuxi
Thin West Lake in Yangzhou
|PREV：Administrative divisions of Jiangsu||Next：Culture of JIangsu|